Monday, April 3, 2023

Cotton

I Love Love my little nano 2.0 electric spinning wheel!  It has sat in the box for several weeks--you know how that goes--you have something in plain sight and then you forget about it.  the other day, hubby said, "what's in this box?"  That woke up my spinning spirit!  Out of the box, it came and I've been spinning a few minutes every day!
What am I spinning?  Brown cotton!

This is brown cotton that I grew--didn't card it myself, but found a mill that would take my 3 lbs of ginned cotton and card into roving!  It's such a pleasure to spin.

I was worried at first that this little EEL nano wouldn't be able to put enough twist into the spin, but no worries on that front!  It spins perfectly!

Years ago, my partner in crime and I were at a natural dyeing workshop in Birmingham, AL.  There we met another cotton spinner who told us she could get "red" cotton, which is a darker shade of brown,
 
  She asked if we would be interested--well, YES!  It was selling for $10 lb--unheard of, but it was years ago when this happen!  We both said we'll take 25 lbs!!!
This was a bargain and we didn't want to pass it up!

Finally, it went out of mind until the day a large box showed up at the door!  
I mean a large box!! and inside was not 25 lbs but 10 huge carded balls of red cotton!  Only 10 lbs!!
Oh goodness!  So thankful, we didn't get 25 lbs!!  For years, some of those carded balls of roving were given as door prizes at our spin-ins.  I still have a box full of cotton to spin and my friend and I laugh often about out excited buy!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

S T

 Simply tempted to stitch up those circle granny squares designed by #beeLori1. She has begun a stitch along—so tempting!! You can find Lori...