Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Eggs! Eggs! Eggs!


Here it is couple days passed Easter and we still have several
hard boiled eggs in refrigerator!  If you are like me before the big
Easter day, you boil eggs for dyeing--I did a dozen and half--
I use my Instant Pot--great way to get all the eggs
finished at the same time and they peel so easy!

Anyway, now I'm left with all these eggs--so what do you
do with them?  Of course, I deviled some--then my brain
went off the deep end--why are they are called
deviled eggs when they taste so good?  Everyone has
their own special recipe to make these delicious foods.

But, deviled they are--here's what Chowhound states:
"It turns out, the history goes back further than you think. The first documented usage for the word “devil” as a culinary term dates back to 1786 when, according to the Oxford English Dictionary, it was used to describe a “(highly seasoned) fried or boiled dish.” By 1800, the term “deviling” caught on and was primarily used to refer to the process of making a spicy or condiment-laden dish, like ham or even kidneys, as was common for the time.
The OED claims,”the term was presumably adopted because of the connection between the devil and the excessive heat in Hell.” This association makes sense. Even while the spice level of deviled eggs can definitely vary based on filling ingredients, they certainly have the potential to pack heat. I mean, you can literally put anything in a deviled egg. Beyond mustard, mayo, and paprika, you can throw in cayenne, kimchi, and even wasabi to kick it up a notch. At their mildest, they are still heavily seasoned and chock-full of condiments, so the original “deviled” definition still holds up."
Okay, that answers that question--but, you know what?  No one has ever asked me why they are called 'deviled' when they are digging into that richness!
Before Easter, I was having a discussion with a friend who said they were attending a potluck in their community--"what are you bringing?" I asked.  "Pea Salad", she answered--"it's what I always bring for potluck".  She said a friend was bringing funeral potatoes--"what are funeral potatoes?" I asked--

She replied "a potato casserole of shredded potatoes, sour cream, cheese,
and condensed soup--topped with crushed potatoes chips"  Never have
I called them "funeral potatoes"--the name comes from these casseroles
being served at funerals--or they sometimes are called Moman potatoes
since the dish is very popular in Utah and brought to many LDS functions.

Okay, folks-- my brain is back to so called "Normal"!!
and I'm back to deviling the rest of the eggs!


No comments:

Post a Comment

S T

 Simply tempted to stitch up those circle granny squares designed by #beeLori1. She has begun a stitch along—so tempting!! You can find Lori...