Thursday, October 29, 2015

Love From The Past

I'm still struggling through Mother's paperwork, photos, books, and her deemed treasures.  There are many photos that I pause over and remember when; then there are those photos--I don't have any knowledge of who the person is--makes good sense to print on the back who, what, when!  But, that didn't happen on most of the photos.
Here's Grandmother Bailey at a young age--have no idea when this was taken.
Here she is in 1962--doesn't she look like a grandmother?!

Anyway, I came across two handwritten pages that my Grandmother Bailey (we called her Granny) had written. I had no grandfathers in my life so I loved my Granny double!  She had an interesting life--it would make a great movie.............................married at 12 (yes, age 12!) , birthed 8 babies, three died before the age of 2; her 35 yr old husband was crushed under a piano that was being moved with the aid of his youngest son.  In spite of her trails and tribulations, she lived to be 89. What a life!
Here is photo of her handwritten note and here's what it said:


The Seniors Lament
Just a line to say I'm living and not among the dead.
tho I'm getting more forgetful and mixed up in the head
For some reason can't remember when I stand at the foot of the stairs.
Should I go up for something?  or did I just come down from there?
And looking in the refrig so often, my mind is filled with doubt
Have I just put food away or have I come to take some out?
And there are times when it's dark out, with my night cap on my head
I don't know if I'm retiring or just getting out of bed.  
So if it's my time to write you, there's no need of getting sore,
I may think I have written and don't want to be a bore.
Bu, please, just remember I do love you and wish you were here
and now it's nearly mailing time, so I must say
good bye dear.
Now I stand beside the mailbox with a face very red.
Instead of mailing you my letter, 
I have opened it instead. 

When I have more time, I plan to scan all these old photos, try to figure out the year and maybe, the location so they can be saved for generations to come.
Love your grandmother and talk to her--get her life history!


1 comment:

  1. Cheryl,
    She was indeed the image of a grandmother. You favor her - as they say... :)
    Diane

    ReplyDelete

Oh! Pancakes!

 Yes!  Pancakes and peppered bacon!  Perfect breakfast!  On the Patio!  Pancakes can be for morning meal in your P Js or evening dinner in y...