Friday, February 10, 2023

Gems in a Plastic Jar

Earlier, I wrote about common placed things.  There is that plastic mixed nuts jar that is filled with 'gems'!


These "gems' filled that jar!  These are spun silk singles--although, there are a few that have been plied.  These yarns have been common place for several years--I stored these tiny balls in one place--last week, when I decided to look in the jar, I was flooded with memories from friends past.

I spun these on my spindles--some I wound off onto cardboard but others were wound into balls- easier to take off the spindle when full.

This is one of my favorite spindles--it's not the only favorite--I have many, many spindles that I've left to become common placed--they sit prettily in a glass jar on a studio shelf.  Oh, how I've missed them!

THis is the top of the spindle--when the gal went out of business, we decided to make our own--not so pretty but useful anyway.  One day down the road, I'll give you directions to create these lovely little lollipop spindles!  For now, I just want to cherish the little perious balls of silk!

Mostly, I like to spindle spin silk roving (I prefer Bombyx silk), but these have been spun on the wheel  I like to use these fibers for embroidery-- Sure, the wheel does spin

faster, but I like to drop that spindle with the silk thread dangling from the spindle!  Such joy!  Look at this lucious fiber!  I'm afraid it has become common place in my fiber closet--so glad I noticed it again!!
The lighter silk balls were dyed with Easter egg dyes.  I buy the dyekits after Easter when they go on sale.  Easy to dye with--I use silk roving/sliver, wetted good, soaked in vinegar; dissolve the dye tables in vinegar and pour over the silk--you can also use cake dyes or food coloring dyes--just rinse well.  Most often, the fiber soaks up the dye and the water runs clear.  Set the dye in the dyepot for 30-45 minutes on low heat

One spinning instructor said single thin silks can be plied 3 or 4 to make a larger yarn.  That is what I did with these--no rhyme or reason to colors--it somehow comes out just fine.
You can see how the yarns will knit or weave faster when plied with three or more singles,
NOw, I'm on a journey to study how to use these little gems.  I could use them on the loom--too tedious!  I do use some for embroidery; can't knit into hats or gloves--not giving enough.  I've done several scarves so that could be one outlet to show off these silks.
Research here I come!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leftovers

Leftovers!  What to do with leftovers?  Never know what to do with all these leftovers--hate to pitch them.  It's all good stuff and sho...