Monday, January 30, 2023

Three D's!

It was one of those January days--I'm bored!  I'm tired of sewing!  I'm bored with housework (of course!), I'm down right bored!  Got to perk up!  
It's a dark, dreary day!
There sat that spun ball of single brown cotton--it's been there how many days?  Just waiting for me to pay attention to it!  But, since it sat so long in one place, it became common place and ignored!
Wake up boredom!  Here is a chance to get your wheel out and ply those singles so you can use it down the line.

So Ply away I did--got out the wheel, put on a good movie and got my feet to treadling -- but now, it sat on the bobbin for several days--where is my gumption to completely finish with this yarn.  Finally!! I wound the bobbin off and now I just stare at it--maybe, this will be used to weave those handtowels that are on the loom. 

When I walked into the "junk" closet to place this brown cotton, I spied another 'common place' item--it was a plastic jar (leftover from mixed nuts).  How long has that jar been there?  weeks, months, years?  

Funny how some things can be so common place, right in our sight all the time, but ignored.  How many times have I walked into that closet and overlooked that jar?  How many times did I walk by that ball of brown cotton and just ignore it?  too many times to count for sure.

That empty mixed nuts jar is filled with such goodies; although, not eatable but gems in their own right.  This stopped me in my tracks--how many times have I passed by someone who is so common Place but ignored?  My life would be richer if I acknowledged that common place person and I think their life would be happier too.  

Kindness is so easy to give--doesn't cost money--it's easy to say hello to a neighbor, wave to a stranger, hug a friend even when they aren't having a bad day;  

The other day we went to an estate sale--the couple was downsizing their house to live and travel in a RV--everyone walking through the house, studying their 'treasures', were quiet and walking their own path through the rooms.  THEN, I smiled at one lady who was in the same room--guess what?? She smiled back and we had a nice conversation!  That one smile led to more conversations--outside the back door, more smiles and more happy faces-  I nodded to the gentleman waiting outside for his wife; he nodded back, then I smiled!  Conversation began and another person joined in.  

-Just a smile or a nod--this is truly needed during these dark, dreary January days!  Actually, a smile is good anytime!!

Just one smile---.  I was filled with uplifted spirit--just from the start of a smile.  That smile perked me up--I'm not bored anymore!  It jerked me out of the dark dreary day feelings!  I'm off to look in my junk closet to see what else  has become common placed! 

“A warm smile is the universal language of kindness.” - William Arthur Ward 😁







 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Old habits revived

 Years ago I had a habit of listening to podcasts on a regular basis.  That was the way I could listen to classic books that I never would...