Monday, December 13, 2021

Memories Path

Our tree is up and so beautiful!
I do miss the real tree and the aroma of fresh spruce; 
Couple years ago after our real tree fell over, some precious ornaments broke,  many pine needles went everywhere, I threw up my hands and said “enough”!  Promptly marched to Costco and bought that unreal tree—I really do miss the outings to the tree lot to pick out the perfect tree! Oh well......

  Everyone decorates with memories!  Now, that our kids are grown and out of the house, I don't put up those little ornaments they made in school art class but I still take them out of the box and think about the kid and how they were so proud to add it to the tree--

the santa made from a toilet paper roll
the wreath from cotton balls
popsicle stick tree
macaroni ornaments

Each in their own right a memory of their days as children!
Now, that we make our own memories as senior adults, it isn't different for us
Each precious ornament holds a special memory!
So, we cherish those times when we found that memory and added it to our lives.

Years ago when we lived in Venzeula, we would visit an artist community outside of 
Puerto La Cruz--loved those trips!  We visited this artist many times and have several of
her pieces in our collection.  When she learned we were moving back to the states, she pressed this into my hand, gave me a big hug and 
smiled.  I didn't speak much Spanish or she much English, but we knew what this gift meant to her and me!  I'll always be honored with her gift.

  I don't remember her name or the name of the art community,
but I certainly will always remember her kindness.  

She made this lovely angel with clay from their region.  Her hands
sculptured each line with love.  Each year it brings joy to our display case as I
think of her and her metal artist husband--think of them often and wonder what
as become of them in that tormented country.  and I pray!

This is another prize memory--Mary, Joseph and Baby Jesus.
I bought several of these sets for family--hoping they can remember the 
meaning behind Christmas and how it should be celebrated. 

And of course, this nativity set made by my Granny back in the 1970's is
special--very special in my heart!  

What memories do you hold dear as you bring out your treasures?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Old habits revived

 Years ago I had a habit of listening to podcasts on a regular basis.  That was the way I could listen to classic books that I never would...