Monday, April 27, 2020

Here A Niddy, There A Noddy

Sounds like a nursery rhyme--just  piece of equipment every spinner uses
in their spinning adventures 

As I was wanting a niddy noddy to wind my yarn on--I found this one!
not sure where I got it--maybe a gift--it fits neatly together but
not easy to use for winding yarn; slips and doesn't stay separate

It does store nicely though. and winds a 1/2 yard around--easy to count yardage.
One on the right is my pretty niddy noddy!  Just love this delicate one--the pin pulls out to disassemble.  The one on the left is my oldest niddy noddy--I've had it for years--
it will wind two yards--
I placed them together just to see the difference in size. I know I have a couple more somewhere--but they are in hiding now.
Now, if you are wondering what is a niddy noddy--
niddy-noddy (plural niddy-noddies[1]) is a tool used to make skeins from yarn. It consists of a central bar, with crossbars at each end, offset from each other by 90°. The central bar is generally carved to make it easier to hold.[2] Either one of the crossbars will have a flat edge to allow the skein to slide off, or will be completely removable. Niddy-noddies can be constructed of many different materials including wood, metal, and plastic. Wood is traditional, and most quality niddy-noddies are still made of wood. Budget spinners occasionally use niddy-noddies made from PVC pipes.




No comments:

Post a Comment

X Y Z

 X Y Z   The slang phrase XYZ, meaning “examine your zipper,”  has been used since at least the 1960's  These letters are used for const...