Saturday, May 13, 2023

See red

  Recently, a friend was dyeing with this fabulous bug--Cochineal!  That tiny little thing can give a variety of colors on your yarn.  I have a bin filled with those precious jewels


but haven't dyed with them in years!  Look like tiny raisins but these pin head size dried insects are hard as a rock!  When soaked in dye bath, they burst forth with color. 
 My friend pushed me to get back into the dyeing game--so I pulled out all my RED books and poured over them.  It was a good nudge back into color of the most importance to the world.

No color has fascinated the world through the ages than cochineal.  

Sorry I don't have her book--next purchase maybe!

So many books written about this one tiny little insect that brings so much life to color RED
 

Soon, very soon, I hope I can post photos of my recent cochineal dyeing





No comments:

Post a Comment

Leftovers

Leftovers!  What to do with leftovers?  Never know what to do with all these leftovers--hate to pitch them.  It's all good stuff and sho...