Friday, August 12, 2022

What’s Cookin’?


Well, it happen!  I purchase sweet yellow onions all the time--onions with lots of yellow skins.
When you get them in a mesh bag, the yellow onion skins are contained--now, that is the purpose of the mesh bags--to contain the yellow skins!  Peel as much of the skins off the onions and leave the skins inside the bag!  It can be thrown right into the DYEPOT just like that. 
I collect as many onion skins as I can over a small period of time--we like sweet onions so 
I accumulate alot of skins--NO, don't throw them away!
I've known to ask the produce manager to save the skins for me or I'll rake up a batch when I go to the grocery!
 
Sorry--I didn't use the mesh bag this time--filled up my large pan with yellow skins, added water to top them off and placed them on a burner--
this is one time you can dye in the kitchen!  No mordants or harmful chemicals added to the pot!

The skins boiled away so I added some eggs to the mix--thinking boiled eggs are always a good thing  in
the kitchen!

After about 10 minutes of boiling, I have nice colored eggs--soft yellow to add to my white ones. I saved the boiled onion skins for a time when I'll throw in some yarn to dye.

A couple of the eggs split during cooking; this is what you get on the egg after peeling.

Now, I'm off to make Deviled Eggs!
To devil means to “combine a food with various hot or spicy seasonings such as red pepper, mustard, or Tabasco sauce, thereby creating a 'deviled' dish,” according to the Food Lover's Companion, the definitive guide to all things food and cooking.


I make my 'deviled' egg yolks with mayo, salt, pepper, dash of vinegar, yellow mustard (sometimes, I'll use my homemade mustard, which is sweet-spicy), little sweetner (can be honey)  Mash all together till creamy--fill the empty egg shells with mixture.
I like to add toppings--

e.g. cooked bacon, curry powder, jalapeno slices, sometimes--a boiled shrimp if I've flavored the eggyolk mixture with spices like cayene.
How do you make your deviled eggs??  Always need these eggs for a picnic or a party--first thing eaten with a crowd!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Road trip continues

 Crossing over into Tennessee, we are now on interstate highways: lots of 18 wheelers, less green nice scenery, some dogwood trees and redbu...