Thursday, February 21, 2019

Yarn Twist Problem................

I finally decided to begin on this knit along--love Toni Lorenz's patterns--
you can find her in "Knitting in the Loft" group on Ravelry.
I have been looking forward to this sampler--

I settled on my handspun "Phoebe" blend from Sky loom Weavers
It spun up beautifully!  knits up nice and soft--
One Problem!


I began the ruffle and look what's happening!  It's leaning to the right--
well, that's my fault!  I didn't set the twist in the yarn after I
spun  and plied it.  I just got excited to begin--wound it off
to ball and took it to needles--  when I saw this happening, I
immediately cut the yarn and skeined it off

After it's skeined, you can see how the twist
is uneven--mistakes can always be made when you
are spinning--and I've been spinning for 30+ years!
The object is to take the yarn off your bobbin, skein it
and have a perfectly balanced yarn--

Here's how I set the twist--I soak the yarn skeins in
warm water, wring them out and use two hangers to 
put weight on the skeins to set the twist--when
they dry--I'll be back in business!  to knit with
perfectly set yarn!














I settled on my handspun "Phoebe" blend from Sky loom Weavers

No comments:

Post a Comment

Old habits revived

 Years ago I had a habit of listening to podcasts on a regular basis.  That was the way I could listen to classic books that I never would...