Monday, June 27, 2022

Summer Project

I need a summer time project!  One that I can pick up, lay down when bored with it—something that fits in my hands!  I settled on embroidery that I've put off for some time now.  It's perfect to work with during these hot days, stay inside days, being lazy days.  Besides--the title of the book is 
"Snow Happy"!  Maybe, that will make me feel cooler as I work on snowmen!


Look at all those tiny snowmen!  So much fun to stitch such small delights!  I have the cloth already--it was tucked inside the book--can't believe I planned that far in advance!
I'll be using this handspun, indigo dyed silk thread--it's been in my stash forever!  It's a single yarn, just perfect for this stitching.
Every time I did natural dyeing I would skein off a small amount of handspun silk to throw in the dyepot.  Once rinsed and dried, the yarn was wound around a card--wish I'd written the dye that I used--but ME, thinking I"d remember many moons later, didn't do such a small thing as write the name of the dye plant!!  Of course, not!  that would too easy.  I can remember blue is indigo, yellow is most likely osage orange or onion skins (which to this day I still save for another dye day); deep purple and red shades are cochineal (this I know as I have about 5 pounds of those little beetles)  If it remotely looks like green--then it's an over dye of yellow in indigo.  
 
when I did natural dyes at the plantation, where I was education coordinator, I would dye these skeins for a fellow docent, who loved to stitch authentic pieces for the house (dated 1800--it is a French Colonial plantation, very simple and plain for that time period--not an antebellum)
Anyway, I would wind these little scraps of handspun for her to use in her stitching--she was thrilled!

One of the first skills I learned as a young girl was to embroider.  I only knew one stitch--don't know the name of the stitch but it's what I used for years.  Embroidery is something anyone can learn and use. 
Through the years I learned many of the other stitches that can be used to create lovely handwork.
I have a number of hand embroidered tea towels that my mother-in-law did--she learned as a young girl too--stitching on feed or flour sacks--another history lesson in the world of using throw away products.

ready to take thread and needle to cloth!!









 

No comments:

Post a Comment

U V

Undulate means  to move in a wave-like pattern . If a sound increases and decreases in pitch or volume like waves, you can say the sound is ...