Friday, April 22, 2011

An Easter Tribute

On a trip to visit family, we were fortunate to visit a local church that was paying tribute to "The Stations of the Cross".  These series, hand carved by Alfons Josef Moroder, ca. 1915 are each 14" x 22" x 1" deep in European linden wood.  The collection from Greg Filardo was on loan to the Zion Evangelical Church, St. Joseph, Missouri.  The artist was born in 1882 to Josef Mororder-Lusenberg in Tyrolean village of Urtijie in the Gronertal Valley, now a part of Italy.  He immigrated to the United States in 1908 where he carved his masterpiece "Columbus Before Queen Isabella (photo is at the end of the stations.) These carvings, with different finishes, were used as 'samples' to sell similar stations to other churches.

The history of Stations of the Cross originated in Jerusalem during the late Roman period. It was an early Christian attempt to retrace the steps of Jesus through the city as he journeyed from his trial before the Roman procurator, Pontius Pilate, to the place of his execution and terminating at the tomb where his body was laid to rest.  This journey path is known as via Dolorosa.

Even though we are not Lutheran or Catholic, we are Christian and the carvings made an impact on our visit, especially since this was presented during Holy Week.  Please take a moment to walk along the 'path of sorrows'.
Please note that Station VI is missing.  It is not included in the collection and is owned by another collector. Station VI is Veronica wipes the face of Jesus.

Columbus Before Queen Isabella, ca 1909 is 35" x 48.5" x 4" deep.  The work was inspired by the painting  byVaclav Broszik

No comments:

Post a Comment